[Harp-L] RE: Suzuki Welded Reed

Harvey wrote, regarding Suzuki welded reeds: "Has anyone been successful
in transplanting a reed in one? I suppose I am either going to have to
use a wider reed, and start shaving the edges, or just scrap the harp,
since I cannot even use it for spare parts."

The way to proceed is to first remove the old reed with a reed wrench.
Simply twist the wrench to the side and the weld will break off. Clean
up the place where it sat on the reedplate.

If you are replacing with another brand of reed, then yes, you have to
make sure it is the same width. If it is the lower 6 holes of a
diatonic, Hohner reeds are a miniscule wider, so you do have to shave
the sides a tad. Once the replacement reed is just the right width,
secure it in the slot by placing some thin paper in the slot (tissue
paper is fine) and pressing the reed down on it. The reed will sink into
the slot surrounded on  the sides and end with a thin layer of tissue
paper. This will centre and hold the reed.

Then (assuming the replacement reed is a Hohner, with a hole in the reed
pad for the rivet), drill through the rivet hole and the reedplate
below. This will line everything up. For the screws I use (from Farrell)
, a 1mm hole is perfect. Then drill a slightly larger hole in the reed
pad, and attach with either screw and nut or self-tapping screw into the
reedplate.

Because the tissue paper is holding everything firm and centred through
the process, the reed should play as soon as it is removed, though you
will have to do fine tuning etc.

Suzuki do make some very ingenious reed-replacement tools using punches,
but they are not widely available. The above procedure is possible for
anyone.

Brendan Power
WEBSITE:  <http://www.brendan-power.com/> http://www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE:  <http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic>