Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Reality check?

"for example, a poster revued the Jason  Ricci
gig on a Thur night  at a blues club in Jacksonville that drew a crowd of
about
4 people.  Certainly if this is being duplicated across the country, there
will  be a lot less paying gigs for these artists as the club owner will
quickly
total up cost paid for entertainment (usually a minimum of $100/man for
these
acts) minus the 4 paying customers (ticket at the door and/or  drinks/food
consumed) equals big loss in revenue for the  night.

As to on line lessons, telephone lessons, customized work, I've  found that,
while you may pick up some new students via the internet  or customizing
jobs,
it  doesn't sustain itself (new students taking a  lesson or two and then
vanishing -  custom harmonica ordered but not  constantly renewable orders
from each individual)."

I happened to speak with Jason about that particular gig and it  was the
exception rather than the rule. Guano happens. Gigging  bands deal with an
aberration like it, especially a band playing more than  300+ gigs a year.  Don't
extrapolate that one gig as if it was typical  of JR&NB's audiences and gigs. It
isn't. The band hasn't been back  to the NY area in a while..when they do, I
guarantee they'll have a full  house..their fans and friends can't wait to see
them again.

As well, the bidding war sale of Jason Ricci's customized harps  online
recently seems a clear indication that he (as well as the other  new-to-the-market
customizers) have a real and ongoing market for their  wares. Some of his
harps were bought by the same purchaser. So much for "non  renewable orders from
each individual'.  With the recent reviews, I'm  personally intrigued by and
most likely will order Chris Michalek's customized  harps (that's plural).

For those interested, Jason's in the Netherlands for his  tour with
Walter Trout..and taking a well-deserved brief few days  vacation in
Amsterdam.

Elizabeth