Re: [Harp-L] history

Hi

Am Montag, 17. November 2008 schrieb Dave Payne, Elk River Harmonicas:
> Again, Haida (thus our legendary Richters) was in the
> Austro-Hungarian Empire, not Germany, but you have loosed no
> respect from me because of, even though I didn't have to google it.

You're right, that Haida was in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, but you
should keep in mind, that the Austro-Hungarian Empire was founded in
1867.
Before Haida was part of the Austrian Empire, which was itself part of
the German Federation (Deutscher Bund, 1815-1866). The German
Federation was a federation of 39 (later 35) sovereign states that
was founded to enforce the common interests of it's members against
surrounding forces like russia, poland and france.

So "german" was kind of an umbrella term for a wide variety of
nationalities. The idea of a german nation and restauration of
germany as a sovereign state was pushed by bourgeois classes all the
time from 1815 and led to the revolution of 1848 (americans might now
the term fourtyeighters, which is derived from this date) which
however failed in 1849.
With bourgeois nationalists defeated Prussia and Austria were trying
to enforce dominance in the German Federation which resulted in a war
in 1866. Prussia won and founded the German Empire (1871), Austria
and Hungary (which was never part of the German Federation) formed
the Austrio-Hungarian Empire.

Harp content (well, kind of):
So was Richter (Joseph or Anton, i don't care) german? Though Haida
was in the Austrian Empire that country was multi ethnic, and they
were living in a borderregion of two different ethnic groups, german
(or saxonian as a subdivision of germans) and czechs.
Since the names Joseph, Anton and Richter sound very german, and not
at all czech i however strongly assume they  can be assumed german.

--
Gruß,Frank