Re: [Harp-L] 270 Replacement combs

----- Original Message ----- From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 270 Replacement combs

Chris -

Will the hole placement match up with previous existing placements, such as the Richard Farrell combs or the 270 Deluxe? (I don't have a Deluxe, so I don't know whether any correspondence exists between the Deluxe and the Farrell screw hole placements.)

If the placement matches the existing nail holes on the 270 (which was the basis for the Farrell combs) then many players would be able to drill their own holes without your having to do it for them.

Winslow

Chris may not know about the bolt-hole locations in the 270 Deluxe and may not be familiar with Farrell's plastic-combed 270. I am familiar with his design because Chris and I are currently sharing some comb-fabrication technology.

The nail hole locations in the 270 Standard and the bolt-hole locations in the 270 Deluxe are different because the larger bolt heads would be too close to the long-slot reeds of the Deluxe.

I bought many Farrell injection-molded-plastic-combed 270s for use in Hands-Free-Chromatics. Farrell would not sell bare plastic combs because he didn't trust people to be able to fit the plates. Because Hohner sands the fronts of the combs and reedplates, no two reedplates that have been assembled on a harp are the same and they are very different from new plates that have not been sanded. This means that the screw holes in the comb can be very near the nail holes in the plates but not perfectly on centers. It is frequently necessary to "stretch" or slot the holes slightly to clear the screws.

Anyone who does not have a drill press to enlarge the nail holes in the reedplates and who is not prepared to do some needle-filing in the holes should allow Chris to install the plastic comb. Chris is an experienced machinist who is familiar with the tendency of brass to surprise the un-initiated operator by suddenly climbing the drill bit!

SS nuts molded inside of the plastic combs are better than inserts in drilled holes because they cannot be pulled out. Their SS threads will not wear out. The plastic combs are almost as robust as metal combs and are about the same weight as wooden combs.

Another big advantage to Chris's plastic comb is the independent removal of covers and reedplates. Remove two screws and one cover comes off with the other remaining secure. Then the removal of 5 screws removes just one reedplate. Contrast this with the CX12 that is supposedly easy to maintain. Although the covers pop off easily, the reedplates are held on with 12 (count em!) long bolts. Then when you finally get all 12 out, both reedplates come loose.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com