Subject: RE: [Harp-L] right hand vs left

Your experience with the chromatic, Bob...are mine too. I naturally  hold my
chroms primarily with my left, unless it's the Super 64,  which can require
both... and like you, this doesn't affect how I hold my  diatonics at all.

No matter what I do, however, I simply cannot get comfortable holding a  diat
in anything other than my right hand.  Go figure.

 Actually, I do other things supposedly attributed to a  lefty....answer the
phone with my right ear for instance; I've taken many  tests to determine
one's orientation...and every test indicates I  should have been left-handed.

My theory is that terror of both my mother and the Nuns in school in
Scotland was such that when we kids were told to pick up the fountain  pen with the
right hand I did so (smearing ink everywhere - with my  handwriting suffering
to this day as a result), with no argument  whatsoever :)  (those women brooked
no opposition).

Elizabeth

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 12:09:18 -0400
From: robert mcgraw  <harpbob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Daniel Gage <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,  <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

I'm right handed but have held with my right  for 30 years [I don't play
upside down] ...recently I've been working on holding  with my left...I do think I
get a "darker" sound that way. What I do, though, is  hold with the left if
it's a slow blues, or when I'm comping on a shuffle...when  I'm going to be
moving around the upper register or playing rock or jazz, I'll  hold with the
right. It seems more natural that way and the same advantages that  accure tone
wise in the lower register when holding with the left accure in the  upper
register when holding with the right. So why not use both?
It's  strange, though...most of my time these days is spent on
chromatic...and I hold  that with the left...seems to not affect the way I hold diatonic at
all.
WVa  Bob

favorites at AOL Food.