Re: [Harp-L] chromatic - Wm. Clark

As a chromatic player, I'd like to respectfully challenge those of you who play blues to try using the instrument's full capabilities. I've noticed that some players will buy a different chromatic for almost every key. That makes them very expensive diatonics.

I know that some players use chromatics in this way to get a specific sound and that's great. However, I've played chromatic in blues bands playing all keys on one C chromatic just as I would in jazz. This has opened up opportunities to be more sax like in phrasing.

When I mic it through my Rivera , the distinction between the sound of the chromatic and the usual diatonics is blurred.

If you are concerned about the challenges of mastering scales on the instrument, I would recommend the baby steps approach. Start with the open keys (keys with few slide fingerings). These often are good blues keys as well.

D - no slide
E- two slide fingerings.
G-one slide fingering
C- two slide fingerings