Re: [Harp-L] AKG D5?

Hi Boris,

haven't talked to you for ages, how are things going? you can write me off line.

as for the mic, I've tried this one and if it's better on vox, I still found that the 800s was better for the harp - acoustic playing. Though 880 has been discountinued you still can find it especially in your part of the world.

They both are super/hyper cardoid. The diaphragm of the D800 has the same technology applied - Varimotion. I like the d800 better because of the round form of the cartrige part than somewhat cylindri/cone shaped one - feels better in hand. But I'm sure D5 will be as good as D800, I just like D800 better.

You can check the frequesncy curves of both mics here:

D880 - dowload the manual in PDF - in the righthand desription block
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/AKG-D-880-M-Supercardioid-Dynamic-Microphone-with-TM40-Wireless-Option?sku=271246

D5 - choose "graph" in picture option
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKGD5

D 880 has a bit more extended low frequences range.

It depends on application of the mic - heldheld, on a mic stand, etc. And your purpose - do you plan to combine vox and harp playing? Is is for pure acoustic sound, or you're gonna use some effects, etc. As long as they are super/hyper cardoid it's better to use them hendheld.

Yes, and it's always better to pic the mic without the switch. You can always have one on the connector - i.e Neutrick NC3FX-S
http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=128

Audix Fireball is very good as well.

As always, your ears are the best judge

Drop me a few lines off line.

Best,

Alex

>>> Boris Plotnikov <ploboris@xxxxxxxxx> 11.03.2008 7:14:05 >>>
Hi!

Have anyone try AKG D5, presented by manufacturer as antifeedback mic?
links: http://www.feedbackisdead.com/, http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,980,pid,980,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

"The D 5 dynamic vocal microphone for lead and backing vocals delivers
a powerful sound even on the noisiest stage. Its supercardioid polar
pattern ensures maximum gain before feedback (for more details, visit
www.feedbackisdead.com). The D 5 stands for a crisp sound that cuts
through every mix.    AKG made the first microphone diaphragm ever
whose thickness varies across its diameter. The new Laminated
Varimotion diaphragm deep-drawing process allows the diaphragm itself
to be fine-tuned with no extra tuning resonators, leading to a quantum
leap in audio performance."

Does anyone compare it with Fireball? I want to buy extra mic, that fit
harmonica much better, than mine Sennheiser e835 (relatively good,
better than SM57 and SM58 for my taste), but still not ideal.

--
Boris Plotnikov
http://myspace.com/harmonicaboris