Re: [Harp-L] Fender Vibrosonic

Hi

Am Sonntag, 9. März 2008 schrieb Special20:
> Here is a link to a nifty little Flash application at The Tube
> Store that shows which 12A?7 preamp tubes are suitable substitutes
> for each other: (click on the little tube icons)
> http://thetubestore.com/gainfactor.html
>
> As you can see, the Tube Store says 12AU7 and 12AV7 tubes are not
> good substitutes for the usual 12AX7.  Is that not right?

They take care of their customers ;)
The 12AU7 is a _possible_ substitude for a 12AX7, but as described
somewhere else in this thread it's not always a safe option and i
wouldn't recommend it without advice of a tech.

Besides having different gain rates there are significant differences
between the various 12A?7 tubes. Unfortunately this is not much
communicated. The 12AX7 and 12AT7 are in fact tubes with very
different characteristics, even though they are safe subtitutes. Also
the gain factors communicated all the time can be misleading. These
preamp tubes have two systems and both of them have the gain factor
described in their specs. Even more the 12AT7 is more efficient then
the 12AX7, so in fact their _real_ gain factor is only slightly
different - much less then the 100-60 suggests.

> Here is a link to a handy list of rectifier tubes, from higest to
> lowest voltages, and least to most sag:
> http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/newsletter_details.asp?ArticleID

Hmm, you're playing a Champ. In my original post i was referring to a
bigger beast, because you mentioned removing one rectifierer tube
where an amp holds two. Changing/removing tubes does in fact have
different effects depending if you do it on a small (ClassA) or a big
(Class A/B) amp.
But lets start with a few basics.

I hope my english will be good enough for this, there are a lot of
technical terms i know only in german.

You got to understand what  high or low voltage actually means in this
scope. All rectifierer tubes give more or less the same voltage to
the filter caps - the voltage that comes from the transformer. Whats
different about them and what makes some more powerful than others
ist the maximum current that they can have.

The rectifierer tube's output is a rectified sinus wave and it's
output voltage turns from zero to (sqrt2 times the eff. output
voltage of the transformer) and back 120 times a second.

This output loads the filter caps BUT it loads only when the tube
output has higher voltage than the filter caps, so they are loaded
with short pushes of high current. The rectifierer tube must be able
to stand this high current.
The filter caps are on the other hand drained continiously by the
power tubes (mainly, the preamp tubes don't drain much in
comparison). So all the power thats continiously drained must be
loaded from  the rectifier in short time strong pushes.
the Voltage will rise until there's a balance of load and drain. This
is the operation voltage B+.

What happens if you now use an undersized rectifier tube depends on
the type of your amp.
Your Class A Champ's power tube  is set up in a way, that it'll drain
more or less al the time the same  medium current from the filter
caps, wether you make it work or not (wether you play or not).
However it drains some power and the undersized recifier will not be
able to stand this compared to the original tube. The voltage on the
filter caps drops, which means on the other hand, that the rectifier
tube has more time in each cycle to reload the caps. At some voltage
below the original one there will be a balance of loading and
draining again.
This way an undersized tube makes your class A amp run  at lower B+,
which is fine. There'll be not much difference in B+ between playing
hard and not playing at all.

It's different wirh a class A/B amp though. If you don't play and the
amp doesn't have to work the power tubes will only drain low current,
so B+ will only drop slightly with an undersized rectifier tube, less
than with an class A amp. this is important, since the A/B setup
requires that the power tubes run in their specs for this mode.
However if you make the power tubes work hard by playing your amp,
they will drain much current from the filter caps, and similar to the
effect described above B+ wll drop significantly. This means, the
more the power tubes have to work, the lower is the amplification by
your amp. This effect is called compression and you want tat for
harp!

Now, all this is still somewhat simplyfied, but it should help to
understand what effects changing rectifier tubes has.

> Also, Gerald Weber in his book about Vintage Tube Amps said all
> Champs sound better with a 5V4 rectifier.

Hey, i don't know that book, can you give me the title? Gerald Weber
was the one who originally made me understand what the main
differences between guitar amps and harp amps are.

Gruß,Frank