RE: [Harp-L] Wireless/Impedance/Adapters - Christelle

*****PS: before I forget: a question to Christelle: Is it only the volume control of the Fireball V not working when connected to the AKG wireless system or is there no signal at all?*****

Hi Otto

The behavior of the mike when it's connected to the AKG system, this is like an on/off switch, there's no progression. The AKG support said that:

Dear Christelle,

Just to clear up the things a little bit:
This Fireball V Microphone from Audix has an output impedance of 150Ohm.
This is what we call low impedance. Audix themself recommend a impedance converter
for high impedance input like guitar amps ....

The SO40 has a symmetrical input and works with every dynamic microphone.
Pin1 = ground
Pin2 = positive +
Pin3 = negative -
There is no bias voltage on these pins.
But the SO40 has an input impedance of 150KOhm.
This is a high impedance input. This is no problem with a microphone that has 150-600Ohm
but it is a problem when you have a volume control between the mic. capsule and the SO40.

In my opinion it is a impedance mismatch. there is neither a defect on the SO40 nor on the Fireball V.
We are sorry but they do not work together the way you want.

A possible improvement could be, when you know a technician or you can do it by yourself:
When you put a resistor with approx. 600Ohm between pin2 and pin3 this will change the potentiometer characteristic
and then you should have a bigger control range.
I hope this will help you.

Greg do you think you can do something about it?

Christelle Berthon www.youtube.com/christellester iChat: christel75015 (AIM account) MSN: christel69_27@xxxxxxxxxx