From: Randy Sandoval <randyharps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:46:34 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] new harmonica pictures and more

Hi Fernando,
I was asked to remove the tour pictures due to some trade secret issues or some such nonsense.
As if people today cant figure these things out when they are capable of building CNC
machines with sub micron resolution from printer parts and piles of garbage. I have even seen a jet powered beer cooler
on the net. But basically, the reedplate is on a 2 axis table, ( CNC ) the laser height is fixed. I really couldn't
figure out much from the pictures out all. But I was going to build one myself. The cost of the laser
was what stopped me. I doubt if it was more than 35 watts. I was going to use a frequency counter for the reference pitch in tandem with an oscilloscope. The laser would remove material until the pitch was reached then the scope would sense
this from an audio input and turn off the laser. This was where it got hard. I talked to an electronics
engineer friend about the feedback loop and he said good luck.How to use the encoder input to
the CNC controller to stop the laser was a tough one. When it stops it, the software senses an E-stop condition
and the only way to resume motion is to manually override this at the keyboard. Not exactly stand alone CNC.
I finally said, hell with it. I have way too many unfinished coat rack projects in my garage like this already.
In reality, hand tuning would be much faster. I was told these tuners are very slow but very accurate.
Randy
http://genesisharmonicas.net