[Harp-L] Re: New Sonny Jr. amp

I've heard nothing but good things about Sonny Jr's amps.  There are so many good ones now, it's great.

I happened recently to buy both a Harpgear 30 and a (re-issue) '59 Bassman (Jason Ricci's former backup amp, he now plays the Harpgear 50.)

I love the Bassman, great sound and plenty of gain before feedback, tons of power,  but the Harpgear 30, for me,  has thicker and more smooth, balanced tone than the Bassman, which is a little sharper and less smooth in its output.

The Bassman gets wheeled out if I need the extra artilllery, but the Harpgear 30 is plenty for any reasonable situation, and it's wonderful!  Lightweight, loud, sweet, coarse and dangerous.  Like me!

-Dave Fertig

Forwarded Message: [Harp-L] New Sonny Jr. amp

        [Harp-L] New Sonny Jr. amp
        Friday, July 25, 2008 8:44 AM

                            "Davymax" <dmax@xxxxxxx>

            harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Just bought it, can't wait to get it. 4x10

Right
now I use a very old tweed Valco with an 8 in speaker.  Great sound but
a little small for stage use. I use a ART pre-amp which really warms
the tone with this amp.

I did a lot of research before making
this purchase. 3 weeks ago I played out of Madison Slim's early 90's
Fender 59 and it sounded great but a little to much feedback if you
stood in the wrong place. Couldn't push it past 2 1/2. Still it had
great tone for Slim and for me.

I tell you it was a real toss up between Harpgear and Sonny Jr.

Any comments?

Also,
I made a post about being able to see Howard Levy last week. Howard
does not let people videotape his performances, but he allowed me to as
I promised NOT to put it up on youtube. So anything you see on youtube
about Howard WILL NOT be from me.

Howard will be
performing in Egg Harbor, WI Sunday July 27 with Chicago blues greats
at a free concert. You can see Howard's schedule at www.levyland.com

If you can make it, look for me. I'll be the guy with a big smile and the look of utter amazement.

For any of you that care to hear me play, you can go to www.cdbaby.com and type in   Lil' Davy Max

You can hear about 30-40 seconds of each song for free.

I hope you like what you hear and purchase a copy. I need more money to pay for my new Sonny Jr. LOL.