Re: [Harp-L] Voice problem

Steve,

I totally understand what you are going through.  When I started out as a music major, I
couldn't enroll as a harmonica major, no program for it.. so I graduated as a vocal major.
But I ran into the same problem as you are experiencing.  I eventually developed nodes and
had an acid reflux problem as well.  Just because you dont have nodes now doesn't mean that
you can't develop them if your vocal chords are irritated.  DON"T PUSH IT!!

I was placed on vocal rest for over a year.  I was told not to sing at all!!!  I chose not to go
through the surgery which, if I had underwent the procedure I still would have been put on
vocal rest for a year.  I just wanted to avoid the knife.  It paid off and the nodes went away on
their own. Please go back to your ENT and make sure you and he stay on top of things.

I saw in your post that you spoke to a vocal coach, are you working with one?  If not, do so.
A vocal coach will help you to "sing correctly",  keeping your voice in your head and not
singing in your throat or chest which is one of the causes of the problems you are
experiencing.  In the mean time, if the pain and hoarseness continues, I would seriously
consider putting yourself on vocal rest.  Drink more water, don't yell, don't sing, speak more
in your head voice and speak softer.

I would hope your band would understand if you did not sing for awhile.  Nodes are nothing
to mess with.  No band is worth your heath.  Hope things work out.

As far as your harmonica playing affecting your voice, when I asked my ENT if I could
continue to play but not sing, he said it was OK.  I never had a my harmonica playing affect
my vocal abilities.

regards,
Roger Gonzales
Fresno, CA