Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki ProMaster Video Up (valved ProMaster inquiry)

>Would this type of harp allow for more slide guitar like phrasing and playing?  I am really interested in trying one, but don't know if I can go without the extra >pitches I can get with over bends.

>So for those on the list...is it possible to bend a valved harp to those notes????
Possible; yes, but difficult. I waffled between valves and overblows for some time before finally settling on overblows. I found valves great for bending down from, or sliding up to the natural note. They're very musical and sound good. I wasn't so pleased with valved bends for getting the accidentals. At this range and beyond they start sounding like duck calls. Basically, the deeper the bend the worse the tone. Also, trying to hit them without bending to them requires precise embouchure and pressure and they're difficult to sustain. Still, PT for one has shown it can be done. You (and everybody) should at least give one a try. They just might suit your specific style and skill set.
By the way, if you're a decent overblower try bending the lower reed in each hole. On a well set up harp there's a little area between where the unbent note sounds and where the overblow pops in that allows for some infection. I haven't monkeyed with this too much because I've got enough to work on but at first impression it seems like something that could be used for expression.
Paul