[Harp-L] re: showbiz

Jim; not sure if you are responding to one of my recent comments, but I'll take it as such:"You don't have to be a leader in a band just because you play harp."
No; but your chances of scoring a gig otherwise are very slim. Very few people are going to go 'Hmm... what I really need in this band is a bass, drums, guitar, and....a harmonica!! Sorry; next on the list will be a horn or keyboard etc. with harmonica coming in at about 57th choice.
Now if you play something else as well, you might get to use your harp. There are situations where, if it's a 'classic' Chicago blues lineup (for an example, and there aren't many more of them) harp might be 'just the ticket' or if you are a good enough player you might score the gig, not because you play harp, but because your musical contribution is significant, irrespective of the instrument you play.
But generally, the harp player usually justifies his or her existence by fronting the band, usually as vocalist.
This is also why harmonica trios etc. were invented, and why lists like this exist; we have to stick together because nobody else gives a toss.
RD

--
Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com