RE: [Harp-L] Harmonicas and Airport Security...

I travel a lot also and all over the world. I learned. I *always* pull
the Seydel zipper bag with my harps out of the carry-on luggage and put
it in a tray just like you might do with your laptop, shoes, etc. I open
it up and lay it flat so they can see the harps. The TSA folks often use
this as an opportunity to point out what they look like to the newbies.

They almost always thank me for doing this and I think it's helped
prevent other hassles. Often it stimulates a little conversation if any
of the TSA folks (or other passengers) are harp or blues fans.

I also learned to not travel with my repair kit, they don't like the
sharp instruments in there. I sometimes bring a smokey (tiny) amp,
bullet mic, cable all inside my carry-on. Sometimes a harp commander if
I think I'm going to a jam - I'll put that in the tray also for obvious
reasons.

For international travel, this can present more curiosity than here in
the states. Especially in India, they weren't sure what the harps were
and of course at the airports there they are suspicious of everything.
In China I had no problem at all. In Singapore the security guy wanted
to know how many octaves I could play on a diatonic, etc. They never
really ask me to play, they must just know better, there's probably a
picture of me somewhere in their training manual :^)

Bill