Subject: Re:[Harp-L] making youtube vids

Mike:

I already had two Panasonic videocameras...a Panasonic mini DV camera with
teeny little tapes I've been having difficulty in getting 'translated' or
transferred to a better medium for distributing, or watching (you have to use  the
camera in order to view them...wearing out the camera as well as down the
batteries)...so kept casting about for something better for my needs.

 I've just bought a Sony DCR-DVD610..40x zoom (and zoom audio,  something I
wanted);  hybrid Movie recording.  It has both DVD and  memory stick recording
capabilities (the booklet includes a 710 and 810 model -  but I don't know
what 'extras' are with those presumably higher cost and better  models)...but
this one tapes directly onto mini DVD's...(something I've  wanted)..and the
camera costs $299.

This is less than half the cost of my first Panasonic camcorder. I haven't
yet used this new one...was shooting with my in between camcorder for Jason's
Morristown Unitarian Church gig;  hopefully I'll have it figured out before
Spah.  The neat part for me is in the ability to play the mini disks as you
would regular size disks and to dupe them onto regular size DVD's to send  off
to the artists I'll record.

I still have no idea how the memory stick works (and/or if that'll be  better
while travelling).  We got it at PCRichards...had done a bit of  online
sleuthing first.  The accessories are extra, of course...but I  already have nice
camera bags, and usually do buy my peripherals separately from  the camera.
Last time I bought a generic brand extra battery online for  far less than I'd
usually pay, so will probably see if I can find an extra for  this cam as well.

Here's an online link to PCRichards. I just looked up the info about  the
memory stick, and for the longest running one it's quite pricey...$150 or
thereabouts from Sony. I think I'll stick to the dvd's, unless I can track  down a
source for better prices.

_http://tinyurl.com/5tc6m8_ (http://tinyurl.com/5tc6m8)

and a list of other stores and online sources comparing prices:

_http://tinyurl.com/5rwrnx_ (http://tinyurl.com/5rwrnx)

I'm looking forward to using it at Spah...it's even smaller and lighter
weight than my other camcorder, and I'll have my lightweight expanding tripod as
well.  Should be good :)

Elizabeth

Message: 2