[Harp-L] Custom harps: who actually owns 'em?

After a recent discussion on this issue with my friendly local harp
customizer, I'm curious about others' experience on the list.  Has anyone
besides me had a previously bolted-on-coverplate/reedplates custom harp
come back to them, after a return to the customizer for reed replacement
and tuning,  riveted together (ie no more removable plates) to foil
attempts at doing my own reedwork and tuning?  I was pretty shocked and
immediately cut off all contact with this particular customizer who pulled
this stunt after 5 years of servicing my harps which he built. (He will
remain nameless (until anyone twists my arm just a little)).
When I buy a custom harp, and own a strobotuner and do my own setup and
work, why can't I work on his "masterpiece" myself.  It's not like I'm
painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa! Is it?  (It apparently was, in his
opinion)
Incidentally, I have found a "cure", thanks to Mike Easton at
http://www.harmonicarepair.com/ who kindly agreed to sell me Marine Bands
at a nominal surcharge that are drilled and bolted (both harps and covers)
for guys that like to do their own work without the hassles of nails, or
rivets, or primadonnas.
Zig

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web