[Harp-L] Zoom Recording

I've been recording some demos for a friend on my H2. (I'll be playing on the album, but here we're just trying to get the songs in shape.)

I love the sound of the H2 in just about every situation. I have found places in my house where it sounds better for one thing or another. It's like recording back in the pre-tape days: move things around until you get a good sound and then blow.

The artist I'm working with has a very large house, and his living room could fit my entire house and still leave room for a skating rink. Lots of wood and furniture and a relatively high ceiling. I placed him off in a corner and just used the forward, 90 degree mics.

The sound is spectacular. The highly echoey room sound, which would be overwhelming if I also used the back mics, too, is subtle and incredibly attractive. I'm going to ask this guy if I can use his living room to cut the free music I'd like to release. I cannot get this kind of ravishing sound in my own house. If you know anyone with a really big echoey livingroom, I highly recommend you ask if you can record there.

I've actually done some overdubbing of one H2 track over another. I make a couple of sharp clicks on the first recording. Then I drop the recorded track onto my iPod. When I record the second track I place the earphones up against the H2 to get the clicks on the new track. Then I record the second track.

I import the two tracks (I could do more than two I guess) into my multitrack program, line up the clicks and I'm off to the races.

What I have done so far in my experiments is to go all over the house experimenting, as I mentioned above. I then a-b the various sounds in my computer and pick the one that sounds best. I experiment again for the second track, only now I listen to how it'll sound against the first track, too.

I am no longer an atheist. I believe the Zoom H2 is God. (I used to believe Ray Charles was God. Heck, maybe I still do.)