[Harp-L] Re: New Irish Trad Tune on Myspace

Thanks for the music Eugene;
                                               Very nice playing, and great to hear someone with a broad sphere of interest (Be-bop to Irish & more!)
                                               Now that I've ingratiated myself with compliments, I wonder what your attitude might be (wearing your 'Irish' hat) to the connections between the traditions of Irish dance music (read 'fiddle tunes' if you will) and it's partial descent - don't misread this you Stateside people; say 'ascent' if it makes you feel any better LVQTM (work that one out you cyber-acronym users) to the US fiddle tradition.
                                              I find the local Irish/folk/bushy set here (Aust.) frustrating in that they only ever play medleys of tunes (ostensibly 'sets' for dancing, even though nobody is dancing, and it's just a 'session') and never really 'dig in' and explore one tune long enough like US fiddlers do.
                                              Apart from that, do you relate to the US fiddle music via its Irish antecedents? With the exception of, say "Red Haired Boy' (or 'Gilderoy' I think) and a few others ('Bill Cheatham' perhaps, though that one doesn't sound all that 'Irish' to me) the US repertoire is quite different, though there are clear connections to Irish and Scottish music.
                                             Sorry I'm not all that well informed on the traditions of Be-bop in Ireland!
Cheers,
RD

>>> "Eugene Ryan" <ryan.eugene@xxxxxxxxx> 15/07/2008 23:53 >>>
Hello,

I've put up a live solo arrangement of the traditional Irish tune The
Shores of Lough Gowna on Myspace - it's the 3rd tune down.
http://www.myspace.com/eugeneryan

It's a "taster" of more to come  - I'll be recording some proper
full-length tracks in the near future with Irish traditional guitarist
Patrick Chanders.  I'll send a note when they're up.

If you don't want to receive any more notices like this, my apologies
- just let me know and I'll remove you from my list.

Happy listening!
Eugene