[Harp-L] Re: Suzuki Soprano Single, Alto Single

Hello, William Galley.

The Suzuki Soprano Single is a 3-octave slideless chromatic, C-C,  with the
range of a traditional solo system slide chromatic in C
(with no high C# or D). It's a blow-only instrument.

The Suzuki Alto Single is a 3-octave slideless chromatic, C-C,  with  the
range of a solo system tenor slide chromatic in C
(with no high C# or D). It's a blow-only instrument.

I own the Alto Single, but don't use it very often. I don't own the  Soprano.
But I prefer the range of the Alto, anyway.

Both harmonicas listed here are beautiful, high quality musical instruments
with perfect tone, from the lowest to the highest note.

Playing the Alto is a pleasure. Each note is pure and  clean. There are only
a few problems for me. They may be no problem for  other players:

The covers are a soft brass on my Alto, and bend out of shape if using a
firm grip. Hold the harmonica lightly, and there will be no problem.

The instrument is large, at approximately 12.5" wide (left to right) X
almost 2" high (at the audience side), X  almost 2.25" deep
(mouthpiece side to audience side). It weighs over a pound.

The notes are farther apart than on a slide chromatic, and that takes a
period of adjustment. The instrument is easier to learn than a bass harp, a
2-deck insgtrument that has a similar note placement system.

If my mustache is just long enough, the covers catch a hair or two, and
that's painful (that's not the manufacturer's problem, it's my problem).

It has a high quality wood case with strong hinges and clasps, with a  strong
handle.  If you have the money, try one. They are expensive. The  last time I
checked, they were around $300 each.

John Broecker