[Harp-L] Chuck Gurney - Charles "Chuck" Gurney - Fat Bottom Mics

            Wow! Chuck Gurney has a website now! Recently, I was commenting
on Hohner Blues Blasters and JT-30?s, and what I have come across while
transforming the weak Hohner Blues Blaster into a bomb. It is true that
occasionally people have found a strand of BB?s that had semi efficient
elements. The truth is that a correct change in element and volume control
knob is the operation you need to undergo in order to get the quality
necessary to have the winning combination of a great amp and mic.  Chuck
Gurney is known and renowned for Controlled Reluctance Element Repairs, but
he is also a fine custom mic builder, custom adaptations, and other repairs.

            A friend just sent me the address to the website:
www.fatbottom-mics.com <http://www.fatbottom-mics.com/>  and while browsing
through I have seen the two mics that he converted with custom adaptations
for me. They are in fact side by side in the mic display. The Hohner Blues
Blaster laying on the black deluxe leather bag carrier and The SM 520 (Green
Bullet) directly to the right of the BB. The repairs and adaptations came at
a critical time for me. I was down to two quality working mics and gigging
profusely at the time. I needed worthy additions to my arsenal of mics,
immediately for fear of having no quality mics. The Blues Blaster was brand
new, but had the element damaged by being left in sub-zero weather in my
car. (Elements can be damaged by direct sunlight, extreme heat or cold!) I
wanted to repair the element. I wanted to change all my mics to ¼ inch
adaptors in order to use guitar cables, and I wanted the best volume control
knobs available. The SM520 needed the element secured as well as the other
modifications of adaptor and volume control knob.  I emailed Chuck:
cgurney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  and explained it all and the urgency of a quick
turn-around time and presto?it was done with precision magic and efficiency.
Check the photos!  And, more than that, the quality of this Blues Blaster is
amazing. The tone, the bottom, the power and overdrive that I get from this
mic always gets the real harpers inquire flowing. No one ever believes their
eyes or ears. The SM520 is on hold as an archive mic which I only play at
home. I?m playing a SM545 and a Turner along with the ?Sonic Blues Blaster?
(All my quality mics and gear get nick names!) nightly.

            Chuck advised me immediately about the element. He could repair
the element, but said that the original element was not worthy in the first
place for what I was after. He suggested the CR element that is embodied in
the BB shell today. Explosive!   The volume control knobs feel and respond
with tremendous fine tuning. You really hear the difference as you turn the
mics up or down and it can be ever so gradual. The knob is responsive and
you feel it when you dial in your sound like you were turning the dial to a
fine precision stereo or electronic device. The ¼ inch adaptors are tight,
snug, and look great as well, but they make changing mics on the fly in the
middle of a song effortless. (It also helps to have a cable with a cut-off
switch, a switching mechanism that avoids the pop or sound incurred while
changing mics.) Do not try this ?live? without the necessary gear! Actually,
it?s a pretty un-necessary and hammy move in the first place.

            A few people have emailed me about the turn around time and the
costs. I wrote a very descriptive message which you can read in the Harp-L
archives called ?Controlled Reluctance Repair!? on Oct. 6, 2007. I removed
the prices there out of respect, but the detailed description of all the
work is there. And, I also have further pictures of the two mics that Chuck
sent me before their journey back to me in Europe. The pictures at the time
made me salivate! They also made me very anxious! I sent the mics on Sept.
14th and I had them in hand on Oct. 3rd.   A super time situation even if
you lived around the corner from Chuck!  The costs?in the end I was a bit
embarrassed about how inexpensive it was for the quality of the work, the
amazing turn-around time (U.S. Postal Service Airmail not a courier
service), the info and advice on the element, and the wonderful new
friendship that I have struck up with one of the harp worlds true
professionals and a tremendous gentleman and personality.

I?ve said it a few times before?Check This Guy Out!

Ron ?Rockin? Ronny? Tuffel

p.s. ? Just to set things straight! The Blues Blaster was a gift. I used it
momentarily in my car as a part of my mobile rehearsal studio. (mic, Hog 20,
reverb pedal, full compliment of practice harps, CD?s) I personally would
never buy one[RT1] <>  ! I?m looking for quality customs built mics, vintage
mics, or quality gifts! So, if you?ve got a great mic that you?d like to
give to a deserving soul. Look me up!

  _____

 [RT1] <>