Re: [Harp-L] Cover Shapes and Materials

_jross38@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx)  writes:

I  believe John Walden mentioned it already, but there was a test done
(I can't remember if it was at SPAH or not) where brass and plastic
covers for a CX-12 were used to see if there was a difference
listeners could hear between the two.  There was not.  Not an  ideal
test by any means, but much like the comb materials tests,  it
indicates that cover material is probably unimportant in tonal  issues.

I believe the cover plates make a BIG difference to the harmonica player,
but probably little or no difference to the audience!
As a musician, just get the instrument that suite YOU!
As for chrom harmonicas, I like 270s... Why? Because I've been playing them
since I was 8 years old and I'm used to them. I've got a Renny, and a  few
CX-12, Plus a few 16 hole chroms that LEAK. I even had my Larry  Adler 16
re-combed by the excellent USA harp tech Bill Rommel, and it still  leaks. I guess
that is why most pro chrom players use 3 octave rather than 4  octave
instruments.... I guess it MIGHT be possible to obtain a great 4 octave  chrom that
doesn't leak like a sieve, but mostly the "48s" are so much  better. For everyday,
I really like the Super Chromonica with its 48  square holes. Simply because
I'm used to them.
Diatonics?
I love the Hohner MS system. I prefer the slightly larger size, to the  old
HM range. Perhaps that is because I started as a Chromatic player. But  as for
cover plates, I like "Blues Harp MS"... I'm converting all of my MS  harps to
the Blues Harp cover plates. Why? Because those covers bring the harp  alive
in my hands!
I think a significant aspect as to a player's preference in instrument is
simply what they are used to.
My preference is for a metal comb. Titanium (1st choice) Stainless Steel
(2nd choice) Plated brass (3rd choice) Aluminum, (4th choice). Perhaps it is
just the way the harmonica FEALS as one plays it.
But I don't think the audience will ever notice.
However. I DO notice!
John Walden
London
England