Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The shapes of the covers

Well, you may be out to bust myths, Vern...but I have a question as to just
what  constitutes a myth?:

 Noone in any of these discussions has (to my  recollection) claimed that
it's about what the 'listeners' can hear or  not...and to my mind it matters
little.  The player is the thing...and if  the player ain't happy...ain't nobody
happy...

Which human ear are you talking about: yours? mine? Howard Levy's? the kid
down the street's?....from everything I understand about hearing,  I absolutely
believe that it is an entirely subjective thing: we  all have different
levels of ability to hear...and I'd bet that the brain  of not a single one of us
interprets sound exactly the same way as everyone  else's.

If a player likes the sound and 'tone' he/she gets from different cover
plates, harp bodies, amps, cupping vs non-cupping...pa's or wireless  mics...there
is absolutely no test yet (as far as I know) which will  refute that ability
to hear his or her own music and the minute  nuances involved. One simply
cannot be inside another's head...or ears, or  have any idea what's going on
there...

 Heck, there are even people with profound hearing loss dependent  on hearing
aids or other devices to hear any sound at  all who can still play music
extremely well. I wouldn't dream of deciding  for them just what or how it is they
are hearing, so how can you  possibly decide for everyone else?  Why not
allow for the possibility that  the player might be hearing something entirely
different from  yourself...and yes...also from the 'listeners" (any and all who
could be  for all we know, suffering from varying degrees of hearing loss as
well) and who  cannot be close enough to hear what the performer is hearing?

...and a machine IS just a machine, for a' that...

I certainly don't mind at all your enjoying the role of curmudgeon, it's  the
flat, blanket statements about something even science hasn't yet figured out
that I think could stand some scrutiny once in a while...

Here's a link to the role the brain plays:

_http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=Ahearing.htm&url=http://www.hh
mi.org/senses/_
(http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=Ahearing.htm&url=http://www.hhmi.org/senses/)

and here's an excerpt which seems to bear out a bit of my own very personal
humble opinion...

"When these hair cells are moved, they send an electrical impulse through the
 cochlear nerve. The cochlear nerve sends these impulses on to  the cerebral
cortex, where the brain interprets them. The brain determines the  pitch of
the sound based on the position of the cells sending electrical  impulses.
Louder sounds release more energy at the resonant point along the  membrane and so
move a greater number of hair cells in that area. The brain  knows a sound is
louder because more hair cells are activated in an area.
The cochlea only sends raw data -- complex patterns of electrical impulses.
The brain is like a central computer, taking this input and making some sense
of  it all. This is an extraordinarily complex operation, and scientists are
still a  long way from understanding everything about it.
In fact, hearing in general is still very mysterious to us. The basic
concepts at work in human and animal ears are fairly simple, but the specific
structures are extremely complex. Scientists are making rapid advancements,
however, and they discover new hearing elements every year. It's astonishing how
much is involved in the hearing process, and it's even more amazing that all
these processes take place in such a small area of the body."
Elizabeth
Message: 4