From: Vern Smith <jevern@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 12:45:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The shapes of the covers

As harp-l's self-appointed, skeptical old curmudgeon, I hear the call of
duty to bust another myth.

There is nothing about the acoustics of the harmonica that suggests that the
covers play any role in the generation of the sound. The covers define the
shape of the sound passage from the reeds to your ear. They might
conceivably affect the coupling of the sound to the outside air as does the
bell of a horn.. They might have a slight effect on loudness but not tone.

Because the human ear has a logarithmic response, small changes of sound
energy are imperceptible.

I predict that in a blind comparison of machine-blown diatonics, listeners
could not distinguish between groups of harps with covers and no covers
(much less covers having minor design differences) by the sound alone. I
suggest that any effort to achieve nuances of tone (warm, bright, etc.) by
means of cover design is wasted.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com