Re: [Harp-L] The shapes of the covers

On Jul 11, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Vern Smith wrote:

As harp-l's self-appointed, skeptical old curmudgeon, I hear the call of duty to bust another myth.

There is nothing about the acoustics of the harmonica that suggests that the covers play any role in the generation of the sound. The covers define the shape of the sound passage from the reeds to your ear. They might conceivably affect the coupling of the sound to the outside air as does the bell of a horn. They might have a slight effect on loudness but not tone.

Because the human ear has a logarithmic response, small changes of sound energy are imperceptible.

I predict that in a blind comparison of machine-blown diatonics, listeners could not distinguish between groups of harps with covers and no covers (much less covers having minor design differences) by the sound alone. I suggest that any effort to achieve nuances of tone (warm, bright, etc.) by means of cover design is wasted.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com

Aaaah, I don't know about that Vern. I placed 1" x 1/16" (25mm x 1.5 mm) sticky foam tape inside the covers of my Hering 64 and it sure made a difference...to ME. What do you think it was? Was it the change in vibrations going to my hands? Or maybe the change in vibrations going to my skull?
Since my jaw has 2 pins and 6 wires in it, my cheek was fractured and my adenoids have been removed, maybe this makes a difference? I'm being serious here (for once lol).

I have made covers out of a lot of things. Things like fine mesh filter screen, various woods, deer antler, cow horn, and even a ham bone, and some sounded different on a C spl-20. Especially the bone. Like you, I was in search of a different sound.

smokey-joe