Re: [Harp-L] Amp purchase help

I'll throw my two bits in on this one in two ways:
1. AMP.
Everybody and their brother has a great amp nowadays.I'm a Sonny Jr guy
myself but I've tried almost all of them and while some are better than
others, mostly it's a matter of taste and build quality. It really is a
golden age for harp amps so pick and choose based on whatever info you can
find in archives, taste tests, etc.
2. YOUR NEEDS
It sounds like you want to be able to play both sweet/clear as well as
dirty/"chicago" styles. You mentioned being happy with the Harp Commander ll
but unhappy that it doesn't get the growl you want for the Chicago sound. I
have a suggestion that works for me:
Buy the HC lll.
It has an effects loop built into it and I use that to solve the very same
probolem you are currently wrestling with.
Here's how:
     There are two mic inputs on the HClll. One XLR low imp which I plug an
Shure SM57 into. I use this mic for clean sound. There is also 1/4" high imp
input which I plug my black label CR bullet into for dirty sound. The line
out signal for both mics are seperate and adjustable, and so are the
individual line out sends to the PA/amp/whatever.
     I also use the AKG wireless with the "guitar bug" transmitter. I like
it a lot. I only run one of the mics through it, so solving that problem I
can't help you with. I'm sure a two channel wireless version, or another
seperate unit might accomodate have two mics running wireless
simultaneously?
     I have a Furman pedal board with the following pedals: A Lone Wolf
delay is first in line. It has a clean bypass to pass the signal onto a
Distortion pedal (this is important to your problem as I'll explain later),
then onto a Boss Chorus (I use this for a weird effect in a rock tune), a
Boss digital Reverb (I use this for an exteme "ghosty" effect on a trance
blues tune), and a Sonic Stomp which cleans it all up (Ricci likes this
one).

     So here's the way I solve the problem of two sounds: I balance all the
controls on the HC to give a good sound for both mics without any effects at
all. I leave that setting as is throughout the whole gig. I turn the
Distortion pedal on when using the bullet and that pedal adds raunchy grit
in addition to the grit the black CR already has. For a clean sound I simply
switch mics and use the SM57 with the distortion pedal off.
     If you try this make sure to balance any gain knobs on the effects
pedals to prevent radical changes in volume when turning pedals on/off. Set
them up so that no matter which padals you use the output volume stays the
same.
     Another benefit of this set-up is that extreme effects (like the
settings I have for the Reverb pedal for example) work well when I use the
SM57 *WITH* the distortion pedal on. It gives the effect more definition but
also keeps the grit the Distortion pedal adds. An even simpler set-up might
be to try skipping your CR and only using the SM57 by just turining on the
distortion pedal for your gritty sound. As for me, I just love the sound of
a Black label CR.
And the effects board is still a whole lot less weight than an amp.

Do I still use my amps? Hell yes! Sometimes I run my SJ410 off the
HClll while simultaneously  running the signal to the PA directly. I shut
the distortion pedal off when I use the SJ410 because that amp don't need a
damn thing. sometime I mic the SJ410 instead. Options, options, options.

Since you already own a HCll you already know how great they are, so I wont
go into that end of things.

Hope this helps.