Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:19:04 -0700
From: Ken Deifik <ken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: The shapes of the covers
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Steve Baker wrote:
>the Blues Harp (like the Old Standby) was never anything else
>but a standard Marine Band comb & reed plates fitted with closed
>covers, which made the sound slightly less bright due to the
>different shape and of course the closed sides.

Wow.  This opens up something like a legitimate version of the materials
debate.  Aside from the holes on the sides, is there anything else about
the shape of the covers that changes the sound of a diatonic harp?

As a guy who mainly plays acoustically, I'd LOVE to experiment with various
shapes for the covers, if that's going to give me different colors of sound.

Has anyone on Harp-l monkeyed around in that jungle?

Beyond shape, here goes an actual materials question: do different metals
or coatings on the covers change anything?  I recall being knocked off my
feet by the sound of a tenor sax that had just been coated with an ounce of
platinum.