[Harp-L] Re: The shapes of the covers

Steve Baker wrote:
the Blues Harp (like the Old Standby) was never anything else
but a standard Marine Band comb & reed plates fitted with closed
covers, which made the sound slightly less bright due to the
different shape and of course the closed sides.

Wow. This opens up something like a legitimate version of the materials debate. Aside from the holes on the sides, is there anything else about the shape of the covers that changes the sound of a diatonic harp?

As a guy who mainly plays acoustically, I'd LOVE to experiment with various shapes for the covers, if that's going to give me different colors of sound.

Has anyone on Harp-l monkeyed around in that jungle?

Beyond shape, here goes an actual materials question: do different metals or coatings on the covers change anything? I recall being knocked off my feet by the sound of a tenor sax that had just been coated with an ounce of platinum.