[Harp-L] RE: Blowing too hard....

John said.

"I was maximizing volume. And blowing and drawing too hard!
If you want your mouth organs to last, simply don't be so forceful.
However, if you want the "ultimate" tone, and maximum volume, just get  used

to spending your gig fee on replacement instruments!"

I too came from this perspective but with the encouragement of this list I
have been experimenting with blowing softer. This is in conjunction with
moving to amplification and new techniques like overblowing. The results
have been for me pleasantly surprising. I was concerned at first about
losing what I considered my signature tone/sound but I recognize my new
sound as coming wholly from myself ( or who/what ever it is that channels us
music freaks). I am finding that none of the time honing my acoustic sound
was wasted but now I am reaping the benefits as my playing is becoming more
responsive. Economical and Expressive. Really the more work I do on my tone
in any way is good. The more softly I blow the less my overblows sound like
a rusty gate. Also I am producing less unwanted vocalization which was
pretty pronounced and commented on in some recording sessions. I can still
do this when I want and that is just the point. You can always blow hard
again if you choose.

Regards Chris Canning