[Harp-L] Respect

Don't forget the huge debate about whether in Juke Walter missed a few beats.  He had a complicated reputation, carried a pistol, got into lots of fights, was shot a few times, cut, knocked around, probably did his share of it too, some say he pimped, shot smack, stole, he might have even cheated on his girlfriend.

But he also ha many loyal friends, even some of his alleged "victims" remained friends, played the best blues harp his contemporaries ever heard, (as well as lots of guitar, from early on, and often worked songs out in guiar instead of harp, according to his biographers.)

By the way, the debate about Juke got mention in the epilogue of Little Walters biography, with special reference to our own very special encyclopedia, harp wizard and bon vivant, Winslow Yerxa.

-Dave Fertig
(Captron wrote:
Someone wrote re Little Walter:

I never met Little Walter. His playing was what got my ear at the tender age of
16.

>From what others have shared, I picture him as punching out someone if they

irritated him too much.  Of course, he met a tragic end, somehow, I appreciate
the honesty.
?

  In all the years I've been on Harp-L, one of the two biggest firestorm
"discussions" was created
about 10 or 15 years ago when one of Little Walter's former managers posted
an off-the-cuff remark
that denigrated Walter's character. He said something to the effect that
from his own personal
experience, in not so many words, Walter was immoral, ornery and mean, and
would take advantage (if
not rob u outright, if i mbr correctly) you if he could. Myself, i found it an
interesting glimpse
into the personality of one of the greatest harmonica stylists. But the
multitude of angry Harp-L
posters who responded in defense of Little Walter showed how highly revered he
is.  In general, they
felt it was unnecessary to bring to light the character defects of their icon.
 Of course, the other big firestorm was the great "comb materials
debate".  Both were so long ago
that i wonder if they are available in the archives.
ron