Re: [Harp-L] Hohner Reeds: Damned if you Do, Damned if you Don't

I don't see any way out of the reeds dilema unless something I was thinking about years ago is implemented.
I was sitting around one night thinking (oooh, danger Will Robinson), and it occurred to me that what the harmonica world needed was a sort of Consumer Reports type study. This would be a study that wasn't beholding to ANYONE.

My first problem was deciding just WHO would test the harmonicas. Ok, I had made a statement right here on harp-l about 8 years ago, when we were talking about lesson plans that were offered for sale, and allowed as how I would NOT purchase anything from someone who was down the food chain. In other words, if I were to buy (or take) lessons, the instructor would have to be a known quantity that everyone recognized as being at the ne plus ultra level. In other words a first string player.

I was quickly shot down when several brainy people advised me that just because a person is a good player, doesn't mean they can teach.

Ok, after a lot of thought, I had a turn around and realized that they were right. Unfortunately this doesn't work for a 'tester'. The tester would HAVE to be at the top of their game. How else would they suck every possible nuance from the harps. Of course I broke it down into 2 categories. Diatonic & Chromo. So, what we need is a NON affiliated tester in each category to LIVE with harps of various manufacturers, brands, models and after exhaustive tests, give an opinion based on a multiple point matrix.

Therefore, anyone could look at it, and take it with a grain of salt, BUT decide what was best for them on the order of priorities. Things like :
1... Appearance (really, who gives a sh*t. The audience doesn't see or hear appearance.)
2... Tightness
3... Robust reeds
4... Bendabilty
5... OVER bend ability
6... Even response to all reeds
and around 4 to 6 more. Then for Chromo, one could add:
1... Slick slide ( This is where Hering will win..I guarantee it)
2... Tone/Timbre/Sound/ whatever you want to call it.
3... Lazy reeds
and a whole bunch more.

You get the picture. Now there IS a series of write-ups on someone's site, but he is (basically) a classical player and I think that limits his ability to be objective. Another wonderful player has a Klepto for a particular model that is unshakable. Sooo, what we need is someone totally unbiased from the start. And HEREIN lies the crux. Any established pro has ALREADY made up their mind as to what they like.

Conclusion: try as many harmonicas as you can and decide what's best for you and remember my grandfather's joke. My father would complain about the price of something and my grandfather would take out a pen knife, offer it up with the words '"Ok Charley, whittle me one". This is important because I have made parts from scratch and it AIN't easy. After spending anywhere from 4 to 28 hours on a project, I find that the $100.oo or so is cheaper in the long run.

This harp world is just like all other groups inasmuch as the well informed make up an infinitessimal amount of the actual master group, and like all other endeavors, the people at the top of the pyramid have a lot more questions. Becauuuuuse, they are a lot more experienced.

smokey-joe