Re: [Harp-L] Harmonicas and respect

I did not bring back the respect issue, it was already back in the thread
about the perceived sleight against Howard Levy. I was simply trying to put
it into a broader context. Howard and Little Walter are mentioned because
they both are worthy of noting for their achievements in the advancement of
the harmonica. Who is better or more important is irrelevant to the point.

"humble little instrument" was a turn of phrase, nothing more. Humility is
not a bad thing in any case.

As to why the harmonica gets less respect than other instruments, it is
cheap to buy and easy to learn the basics. Yes, difficult to master, but how
many people truly master any instrument.
There are plenty of awful players on every instrument out there, so it is
not great masses of players with no ability that engenders disrespect. If
that were true, no one would respect Any instrument.

Richard says,
"Can we all go back now to trying to become the best musicians we possibly
can, in whatever ways we can?  I think if we all concentrate on making great
music with the harmonica, the rest of this crap will sort itself out. Or
not, in which case we will still have made a lot of great music."
That was one of the points I was trying to make, though you say it better
than I managed to.