RE: [Harp-L] Harmonicas and respect

What is very important is that we all stop referring to the harmonica as our humble little instrument, or words to that effect.  'Twas very many moons ago on this very forum that the Iceman said that playing the harmonica properly is just as hard as playing a Steinway concert grand properly, and I agreed with him so much that I asked him for permission to quote him in an article I was writing for The Harmonica Educator.  My music is mostly traditional Irish and that kind of thing.  There is only one way to learn it, no matter what instrument you play, and that is by ear.  Yet (why "yet," you may well ask!) the world of trad Irish still manages to throw up some incredibly accomplished and soulful performers on tin whistle, fiddle, flute, pipes, accordion, mandolin, banjo...and harmonica of course.   I read this list, dominated as it is by all you blues and jazz chaps and chapesses and I'm filled with admiration.  But there is not just one way of becoming a real musician.  And at the end of the day it's about whether you're enjoying yourself and whether the people who happen to be listening to you are enjoying themselves.   As far as I'm concerned, the rest looks after itself (and I do set myself high standards - I don't just do Wild Rover all the time!)   In a lot of ways the instrument you play is of relatively minor importance compared to the ability to play with good rhythm, tempo, tone and with those listening skills that enable you to play in a band situation and knock sparks off each other.  So how is a harmonica any different to any other instrument in those respects?  Not much, really.   One of the great things about the harmonica is that it has fixed pitches, so it doesn't take long for a beginner to be able to knock out a simple tune, and solo harmonica tune-playing works a treat.  And there are not too many rules.  There isn't just one correct embouchure.  There are advanced techniques, but you can still be a darn good player just sticking to the simple stuff and doing it well.  If you want to, you can think about the hard stuff, those accurate blow-bends and those overblows, later on.  Overblows and blow-bends will not miraculously transform anyone into a musician (in fact, they may even be a hindrance!) - they are just more tools in the armoury.  Just think of all those wonderful Irish and far-eastern tremolo players who have neither bends nor overblows, yet many of them are incredibly accomplished musicians in every sense of the word.   And I don't want to give the impression of sour grapes because I can't do 'em because I can (well, not too great on the overblows, to be honest...) Nah.  I'm not going round with an inferiority complex about my harmonicas, no way.  I play a lot in noisy pubs, and in our band I'm usually the only amplified player, a reluctant role for me, but the other blokes insist!   I can play my tunes quite well, though not well enough for my liking, and I strive lazily to improve, but round my way the harmonica is welcomed and is certainly not regarded as a toy or as something slightly flippant.  I'm serious about it and will show by my playing that I want it to be taken seriously.  I won't achieve that goal by just telling everyone what a great instrument it is.  By our fruits shall they know us.  There's no-one taking the mick out of my harmonicas, thank you!

Steve
The John Lewis Clearance - save up to 50% with FREE delivery
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719806/direct/01/