[Harp-L] Subject: Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 59, Issue 8 /Was Sydel/ Now Stage Fright

Thanks for that, Richard...it's going to help me a lot too..if and when I
finally manage to get myself out on a stage. I've gotten all sorts of good
advice on Slidemeister too, but it's nice to hear that brilliant performers  such
as Red Skelton who slayed his audience, could be so filled with stage  fright
before a performance that he actually got sick...wow.

I'm not quite that bad. I simply lose all my air which makes it practically
impossible to play, then.   SmoJoe's told me he gets ill..to the point  where
he really didn't want to accept some offers to perform at conventions,  since
he thought he might let down not only the audience, but the people who  wanted
him to play..and as a friend and huge fan of his, I've been trying to  talk
him out of his 'staying back in the audience' attitude.  He's such a  great
player, whenever anyone hears him their ears perk up and they inevitably  ask
'just who is that' who is playing.

THAT to me, is the sign of someone 'out of the ordinary'. Aren't many  around
with that ability...actually Jason and you both fall into that category
too...along with some others I know from the conventions: Phil  Caltabellotta,
Jimmy Gordon, Joe Filisko, Jimmy Conway, Rosco, Cara Cooke,  Madcat...Wally
Peterman, the aforementioned Paul Davies....quite a few other  people...who
immediately make my head turn when they play...

 I don't want to name everyone I feel that way about for fear of  leaving out
some other great players I like ...but with hundreds of people  attending,
those who stand out are in the minority and are to be  encouraged and
cherished....even some who aren't making a living playing  harmonica, or who might
still be considered at amateur level.

It's like a good voice..hearing someone who is distinct and 'different'
..'recognizable' ...they are few and far between, so are the ones who should be
encouraged and promoted, to my mind....even if they're hiding what might be a
serious case of stage fright.

I so envy those who feel comfortable and natural onstage and in front of an
audience.  Wonder how one ever gets that way.

By the way...I believe I'm finally going to buy a device which will
transpose all of the footage I took from last year's SPAH performances onto  DVD's.
At that point I will either snail-mail or email copies to the  performers for
their approval before giving them to SPAH or  posting them anywhere else, and
for their files...but will probably be  quite a while after this SPAH before I
can finish it all  up.

 I did catch most, if not all of your performance as well...but with  the
camera I used, I haven't been able to play it back since..I have a new DVD
videocamera for this year..and once I get things done properly, hopefully I'll
have something good for you..as well as the last second playing (awaiting your
ride to the airport) with Jason outside with him practicing his first attempts
at chord playing.  It was impromptu and quite brilliant.

I apologize for the long delay, but have been dealing with an injury which
has set me back, some.

Elizabeth

Message: 11