[Harp-L] Audacity Special Effects Does Not Seem To Work?

I have tried to use Audacity's Special Effects and other parts of their software, but they do not work.  In fact, I have subscibed to their help desk to find out why they do not work on my computer.  However, the latest response from them was to try uploading the program again, but the did not work as well.  My question(s): Has anyone else out there had the same problem?  Also, did you get help from them about this or did you fix it on your own?  Or did you get no help etc?  Thanks