[Harp-L] Re: Where's the hottest blues scene?

There is a pretty "happenin'" scene in Portland. I live about 40 minutes south of Portland, in Salem.

They have a strong blues organization, the Cascade Blues Association, which helps put on the largest blues festival west of the Mississippi, the Safeway Waterfront Blues Festival. Many other blues festivals in this area, and a sprinkling of "Harmonica Blowoffs" throughout the year.

I've personally found it a tough scene to break into (that's gonna change soon), as everyone's protective of their "turf." I'm certain it would help if I live right in Portland. I have found that a large portion of the guitarists up here really do appreciate harmonica, and I have been asked to sit in on a number of occasions, even as far away as Seattle.

Some of the bigger names in blues who live in Portland are Curtis Salgado and Jimi Bott (Piazza's ex-drummer), Frank Goldwasser, aka Paris Slim, and others.

Ray.
--
My Music - www.resgraphics.com/music