RE: [Harp-L] Paddy Richter Tuning

> Dude, what's sissy about using a G chromatic to play Irish music? As I
> recall, there's an extended piece by Brendan Power in the Harp-L
> archives that discusses using a G chromatic with slide turned upside
> down (to make the accidentals easier to get) to play Irish music.
> Regards, Richard Hunter

You'd be better off with an F# chrom with the slide reversed if you wanted to play in "authentic" Irish keys with a reverse-slide harp.   Of course, who cares if you can get your band to tune your way, but I'm thinking of usefulness in pub sessions.    I don't think there's any shame in having a chrom to hand for those occasional awkward tunes with accidentals.  You really don't have to be a virtuoso on a C chrom, able to play in any key, to play Irish music.   I always take a D chrom and a G chrom to the pub, though they stay in their cases most of the evening.   Then there are always XB40s, beasts which I've yet to fall in love with.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

http://www.searchgamesbox.com