[Harp-L] RE: Amp Recommendations

Hey George,
I gotta  say I still love my Princeton Reverb Recording Amp.  Here's the
review I posted last year after I got it:

I use to have a 1974 Princeton Silver Face that I had since 1978 and I
totally loved it -- until it electrocuted me in 2003.  Since then I have
used & still own a Fender Vibrolux, an Epihpone Valve Jr. & a Fender Blues
Junior with a vintage 10" speaker I put in it.  The new Princeton sounds
like a friend of mine's old Black Face Princeton which is killer for
electric harp but it's that big knob, the power soak,  that makes it perfect
for harp.  Most the time you can't turn an amp on above 4 or it feeds back
with a harp mic.  I run this puppy on 8 & 9 to get that great tube break up
sound I could only dream of before or maybe just barely taste when the moon
was full and the planets were aligned just right.
I know it's designed for the studio but with the great speaker emulated line
out I can run through the PA or another amp, sound great, and I get all the
stage volume I need.  Really it's surprising loud for 15 watts by itself.
It's got that great Princeton clean bouncy sound I love for rhythm harp and
country at low main volume settings and a totally killer tube distort for
leads at high settings (with the speaker turned down).  ( & You can get that
same sound at any volume you want!!)
The spring reverb sounds better on harp (ala Little Walter) than the "tube"
reverb on my Vibrolux and the compression is very useful to tame those
piecing high notes on harp that will spilt your head open on my Vibrolux.
The electronic distortion hums a bit but I rarely use it on harp because of
the feedback that lives on the edge of that effect.
All in all it looks like Fender has inadvertently designed the best
harmonica amp ever!  It does cost a quite a bit for 15 watts but so does a
vintage Fender Princeton and the special features, especially the power
soak, put it league with a custom built harp amp.

Mad Dog

Message: 7