Re: Re: [Harp-L] M-Audio MicroTrack Question

Richard Hunter wrote:
> The Zoom H4 runs for about 4 hours on a pair of alkaline AA
> batteries. It may be that the Zoom uses a different technology
> for data storage--does the MicroTrak have a hard drive, or use
> compact flash cards?
>
> Anyway, I have had much better results with the Zoom using
> rechargeable AA batteries.  Might work for you too.

Unfortunately, the Microtrack's battery is not replacable "in the
field", the unit has to be sent back to M-Audio for this service.
Their stated price for this service is $75 (almost 20% of the cost
of the unit), but so far no one from M-Audio has replied to my web
request for service.  There is no indication that a replacement
battery will perform any differently than the original.

The Microtrack uses CompactFlash cards to record, so this should not
consume any more power than the Zoom.  Everyone relating their
experience has stated that their Microtrack originally delivered 3
to 4 hours of record time, then after a year or so it degraded to
less than an hour.

It would seem that the only option available to Microtrack owners is
to use an external USB power supply, such as those designed to power
iPods and other devices.  This is reported to work, provided the
Microtrack unit is fully charged, though I have not tried it
myself.

I'm very disappointed regarding this problem, and in M-Audio's
apparent lack of response to it.  Had I been more alert I might have
waited to get a different device that uses a replacable battery.  I
wasn't expecting it to die so quickly.

-tim