Re: [Harp-L] Olympus LS-10 Recorder

Tim Moyer <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'd love to have a remote control for my M-Audio Microtrack.  It
would allow me to place the recorder somewhere that gets good sound
coverage (we generally play restaurants and small venues), and start
and stop the recording without having to walk over to the recorder.

the best thing about the current generation of recording devices is that they can record loong enough on a disc (or memory card, hard drive, etc) that you don't have to care about stuff like that. all i need to remember is to start it going before the band starts, and turn it off when i go home. after decades of recording with cassettes, and sweating over when to flip the tape to avoid ruining a hot jam, this is a Great Thing.

I could even start and stop it between songs, which would make post-
processing easier (no more cutting up hour-long MP3s into individual
tracks!).

maybe. when i track a show i invest a fair amount of effort in deciding
precisely when to start and stop each track. i want to cut out tuning/crowd noise delays between songs, keep or toss banter, depending on how it relates
to the upcoming song, etc. not something i'd be willing or able to do in real
time.

when i record, i just a want a complete, raw record of the whole show.
and i really don't want to have to pay any attention to my gear, which
detracts from my enjoyment of the show.  having to think or make decisions
about the end product is much better left for later, when i have the time
and attention to deliberate, and much more powerful tools.  and i'd think
that this'd go double if i was actually performing, vs. attending, a show.

--
Optimism and pessimism don't exist for me.
I'm a blues man.  I am a prisoner of hope.