[Harp-L] Reed file

A beleated Happy New Year to all:
I finally started taking my harps apart to do some work. I started working on some old "Big River" harps. I was unable to unscrew plates and separate the reed plates. You can't beleive the "junk" that accumulates inside a harp. Anyhow, I notice some rust or discloring on some of the reeds. How do you file it off or should you file it off. What is a good file to use for such purposes. Thank you all for you suggestions and comments.
James Leo