From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Garry Hodgson
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 11:55 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] zoom h2/h4 with external mics?

i had a bit of a scare yesterday when my minidisc appeared to be dead.
  turns out the battery has just died, so it won't hold a charge, but
i can still use it using the external battery pack.  but it got me
thinking about maybe upgrading to a digital recorder.

the zoom h4 is probably out of my price range, but i'm considering the
h2.  so i wondered if anyone had any experience using either of these
with external mics?  i know they have built in mics, but i have good
external mics that i'd like to be able to use.  i recall that bill
hines had some problems early on using his h4 with external mics,
though i believe that was a firmware issue that was later fixed.

if anybody has any experience with this, or with the h2/h4 in general,
i'd be glad to hear about it.  any thoughts about tradeoffs between
the two would be helpful, as well.  i just want to record, so the
effects offered by the h4 are not of interest to me.

thanks

--
Optimism and pessimism don't exist for me.
I'm a blues man.  I am a prisoner of hope.