Re: [Harp-L] Re-tube Baseman 100 top

Well, there are lots of options and I think you will get lots of good advice
on this.

To keep it simple and inexpensive I'd start by concentrating on the Phase
Inverter tube in socket V3, the input tube closest to the bigger power
tubes.  The amps comes with a 12AT7 tube in that socket, which is designed
to give miles of clean headroom, something we don't necessarily want in a
harp amp.

I have two suggestions:  Try any good 12AX7 or 5751 tube in the PI socket
and see how it sounds.  An alternative is to try a 12DW7, a peculiar tube
that drives your power tube pairs at unbalanced levels.  It gives a slightly
coarser tone.  I tried this in a silverface Twin and liked it for harp.  I
also use it in my project Fender Pro Junior harp amp.  JJ sells a 12DW7 tube
(ECC832) for only about 10 bucks, so it won't break the bank to try
it.  This should ease up on the Fender "Sparkly Clean" tone a bit.

The tweed Bassman amps came with a 12AY7 tube in V1, so you might try that
as well.  And lastly, disconnecting the Negative Feedback Circuit will give
a grittier tone.  The NFB is a wire that runs to the speaker tap from the
preamp section of the circuit board, not from the power transformer.  You
might need a tech to help you with this one.  Be careful whenever messing
around inside a tube amp.  ZAP!!!

These simple mods should make the amp sound a lot better for harp, without
breaking out the soldering iron and schematics.  If you try this, please let
me know how it works out.

-Rick Davis