Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass Harp and the Dixie Flyers

Peter,

Mike Stevens has many fine CDs such as "The World is Only Air." Go to his website:
http://www.mikestevensmusic.com/

Jim,

Mark Graham and Grant Dermody mostly play old-timey music rather than bluegrass.

I'd also check out Bob Littell who plays with the Mossy Creek Band and with musicians such as Tommy Emmanuel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=758j0IWuhY0

I've played chromatic harmonica at numerous bluegrass jams and at festivals such as Summergrass, Wintergrass, SuperGrass, Blythe Bluegrass Festival, Huck Finn Jubilee, Topanga Banjo Fiddle Contest, Grass Valley Festival, and the Strawberry Music Festival. I also host a monthly bluegrass jam at the Coffee Gallery in Altadena, California. I encounter few other harmonica players at these events, and never a chromatic player.

I must admit that bluegrass musicians often cringe when they see a harmonica player saunter over to their jam. If the musicians don't know me, I have to "prove myself" before I'm made to feel welcome. Unfortunately, the few harmonica players who show up at bluegrass jams often haven't taken the time to learn the genre and don't understand bluegrass jamming etiquette. They often don't know the melodies, play too loud when others are taking their breaks, or take breaks that are too bluesy. I’ve tried to avoid these problems by learning the leads to many bluegrass tunes and by playing softly, if at all, when it isn’t my turn to play.

As I mentioned in a recent posting, you can hear me play with some great bluegrass musicians on my new CD, the "High Desert Bluegrass Sessions." Samples of each of the 13 tunes can be heard on CD Baby:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/naiditch2
6 tunes can be heard in their entirety at:
http://www.myspace.com/highdesertbluegrasssessions

David Naiditch
www.davidnaiditch.com