Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass Harp and the Dixie Flyers

Andrew,

Among others, I would recommend Mark Graham... he's a monster.
Southern Old time Harmonica is a great record, and if you e-mail Mark, I recommend asking him if he's got any copies of the record he made with Tom Sauber on banjo, 'Thought I Heard It Blow.'

http://www.mongrelfolk.com/soundfra.html
http://cdbaby.com/cd/markgraham2

Grant Dermody is another fine player in this vein and I would highly recommend The Improbabillies record.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/improbabillies

There are more (far more than I can think of to list:)
PT Gazell (country/fiddle)
Tony Eyers (fiddle)
Brendan Power (Irish/fiddle/etc.)
Charlie McCoy (country/fiddle)

Jim.
www.mcmule.com

>>> PETER OCHALSKI <pochalski@xxxxxxxxxx> 12/5/2008 11:20 AM >>>
After a long hiatus learning piano, I'm looking to re-dedicate myself to the harmonica and in particular, I'd like to explore some bluegrass harp.

I had a cassette made for me by a friend that had some music by a great Canadian band called the Dixie Flyers that had some tasty diatonic work on it. It's been years since I have listened to it or even owned a cassette deck and I can't find the tape and don't recall the name of the record. The current line-up doesn't include a harp player and there was no harmonica on the samples from their recent albums. Can anyone recommend one of their earlier albums that is more harmonica-intensive?

I've been told I should check out Mike Stevens as well. Any record suggestions for him?

Thanks.

Andrew "I've got blisters on my lips"