Re: [Harp-L] Improvising

Just goes to show you can always learn something from a good musician, no matter what instrument they play. And when you're both playing at the same level and really listening to eachother, it can be magical (not to mention a lot of fun).

Seth

Tim Moyer wrote:
Robert Paparozzi wrote:
a good soloist must learn to tell a story it has to build and have phrases and dymanics as well.

I had a gig last night with the jazz band, the first "official" gig with our new sax player. We've jammed together a few times and felt the potential chemistry, but last night we plumbed the depths! I feel like I learned so much from that one experience. We started out trading solos and playing harmonies, and by the end of the night while trading eights and trading fours we were building on each other's phrases and tempos. It was almost a religious experience for me. I was even throwing in odd overblow squeals to sound like the squealing sax from time to time.

For me it really brought life to this comment from Rob: indeed, tell a story, and build it using phrasing and dynamics. It helps a lot to have other really talented musicians to build the story with you!

-tim

--
The beatings will continue until morale has improved.