[Harp-L] Improvising [was YouTube - AFTER YOU'VE GONE-- shtreiml]

Robert Paparozzi wrote:
> a good soloist must learn to tell a story it has to
> build and have phrases and dymanics as well.

I had a gig last night with the jazz band, the first "official" gig
with our new sax player. We've jammed together a few times and felt the
potential chemistry, but last night we plumbed the depths! I feel like
I learned so much from that one experience. We started out trading
solos and playing harmonies, and by the end of the night while trading
eights and trading fours we were building on each other's phrases and
tempos. It was almost a religious experience for me. I was even
throwing in odd overblow squeals to sound like the squealing sax from
time to time.

For me it really brought life to this comment from Rob: indeed, tell a
story, and build it using phrasing and dynamics. It helps a lot to have
other really talented musicians to build the story with you!

-tim