Re: [Harp-L] Harps made in China

At 10:39 PM 4/23/2008, Ron wrote:
I am curious to know your experience with the Fire breath harps.

I am an intermediate blues player. I have tried many harps, but mostly played the MB. I then tried a Fire Breath. I love the feel & sound of it, but it seems to bend very differently from Hohner MB, special 20 & Lee Oskars. I find it hard to play. (It's an F). I also have a Suzuki Pro Harp 350-V in G. I find it bends differently from all my other harps, including the Fire Breath.

For now I have "settled" on the MB Deluxe. I find them more predictable & enjoyable/easier to play.

Any thoughts? especially comparing the Fire Breath to others.

I used Huangs before I switched. I was never really bothered by various holes playing differently on the same harp, I had never had a harp that felt just right from top to bottom in 40 years of playing so I didn't expect it. I adjusted my style to each new harp I got that I liked, and in fact was able to invent new feelings and ideas for each of them based on their limitations.

I bought a Fire Breath on the recommendation of Richard Hunter. From the instant I started playing it I felt wonderful, it was so playable, every hole worked beautifully (I play alot of high end stuff) and the people who knew my sound said the FB made it alot sweeter. I liked that alot, though I barely hear it myself.

What I do hear is the world of possibilities it has opened up because I no longer feel I have to compromise, I can go off in all kinds of new directions that I didn't even know were there before.

I've never played an MB Deluxe, nor any of the other harps you mention outside of MB's, so I can't make a comparison. I love the idea that different harps bend differently and give you different qualities. There's no real reason to stick with one type of harp. We all know guitarists who have several or many axes because each one gives them something different. On the other hand, it'd be unlikely that I'll use anything but my FB's on a gig in the keys I have them in. I don't have that many. I still use the Huangs in some keys, an MB in another. I'm replacing them over time, and want to try the new Seydels, too.

As an intermediate player, you should be trying all these different harps out deeply, ie, working with them, practicing with them all. You'll probably realize that one is your great preference after a few years. The great thing is, we're in a whole new world for diatonic players. New harps seem to be coming out every year now. Very few new harps were coming out in the '60s and '70s. Lots of fun to try these things.

I have to think that a time is coming when I'll prefer different harp brands for different parts of the spectrum of keys.

Finally, as I've mentioned here before, too often, I had the 4 draw on a D FB go south on me at a highly inconvenient moment last Fall. Suzuki took care of me and told me that there was a real issue and it had been taken care of. That doesn't mean I don't bring backups to gigs, but the FB is worth a little worry.