Re: [Harp-L] Harps made in China

Those of us that are old enough can recall the day that the term "Made in
Japan" was synonymous with cheap goods.

I did some websites for a company that marketed a well-designed air purifier that was manufactured in China, and designed there, too.

They started getting an unusual number of returns, so they looked into the guts of one of the returns and discovered that though the design really was good the manufacturing process was amazingly shoddy. We wrote up a long list of problems for the distibutor to discuss with the Chinese factory. My guys then started doing 15 minutes of quality assurance on each purifier, and developing a set of repairs when they ran into one of the manufacturing glitsches.

The Chinese factory didn't freak out, they clearly felt that discovering what they could not get away with out in the field and fixing those problems was a natural part of their cycle, and over time they improved the thing to where, after a year or two, quality assurance was no longer necessary here. There were a bunch of issues, and they were all dealt with over time.

This is to say that it's possible that Chinese factories that make goods for export may very well try to get away with shoddy manufacturing practices (including using unacceptible materials) until they find out which problems are so obvious that they might affect sales, and then they fix those problems. That would indicate that we should as a group figure out how to test for lead and other nasties in our harps, and if any are found (whether we know they're made in China or not) work as a group of 1600 harp players to let the distribs of any offending products know that we would like for them to make sure that the problem is fixed, wherever they're manufactured. Not being a SPAH member I don't know if it's my place to suggest this, but SPAH might be the right body to pilot these kinds of tests.

I think it is all a matter of business for Chinese manufacturers. Whatever they can get away with, they'll get away with. Whatever they can't get away with, they'll fix.