Re: [Harp-L] RE: Fatigue and Reed Life: An Objective Test?

The two reeds, or the double-width reed, would be twice as loud, would it not? providing the player was pushing enough air through. Musing further on this, would it take twice the amount of breath to vibrate the two/double reeds - or is  my imagination on the right path when it suggests to me that, like a vehicle on wheels, there is an advantage from momentum once inertia is overcome?
Lastly, while I'm thinking of it, why are XB40s so loud; they certainly don't seem to need any more breath than a standard diatonic.
RD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe and Cass Leone" <leone@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Vern Smith" <jevern@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE: Fatigue and Reed Life: An Objective Test?

> On Apr 19, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Vern Smith wrote:
>>  I have a 270 chromatic in which there is just one SS reed.
>
> BUT, did you TELL anyone there was a ss reed in there.?

Yes.

>  Since all harmonica reed slots in a given harmonica (until lately)  have
> been the same width, I think that changing widths could have an  effect.
> For one thing the reeds wouldn't have to be so thin as foil.  I see this
> nowadays in the very highest reeds.

> I believe that the #4 draw on a D harp (the E) goes out because it is  in
> that grey transitional area where it is just thick enough to do  the job.
> If the slot and reed were narrowed, and the reed thickened,  I think it
> would be PAST the danger area.

Changing only the width of a reed does not change its pitch.  Another way of
saying that is that a wider or narrower reed would not be thicker or thinner
to sound at the same pitch. It might change the loudness slightly and would
definitely change the amount of breath required.

Hohner may have changed the width of the short reeds to save breath on the
high notes.  The change in width from .08" to .07" would save the player
about 13% of his breath.  If it cut the sound energy by 13%, that would be
only -2 db and hardly perceptible to the listener.

If you find this difficult to believe, do the following mental experiment:

Imagine two identical reeds vibrating side by side.  Their shape at every
instant is exactly the same. Bring them closer and closer together untill
they are touching.  Since they are moving exactly together, there is no
rubbing.  Now glue them together, and there is still no change.  Then weld
them together so that they are the same piece of metal...still no change.
After the weld, the resulting single reed is twice as wide but still
vibrating at the same pitch.